There was a time when I was rigid and exacting with my training, much more narrowly focused and future-oriented. I took pride in mapping out my whole running year like an Olympic athlete. Adhering to a strict schedule and holding myself to such meticulous standards eventually presented problems for me. I became overly focused on outcomes and ego-driven goals. I compared my performance with the other 100K and 100 milers in my peer group. Final results were all that mattered to me. I measured my success entirely by my finishing time and how high I placed among my fellow competitors. Sometimes I would get so tight because of long-term planning and expectations that I would feel completely pressurized.
Slowly but surely, I became less concerned with looking good, final outcomes, beating my previous times or another person. I would still compete hard but not “too hard.” My love of helping other runners surpass their personal goals eclipsed my identification with winning and losing.
I’m much looser now, and much happier because of it. I put greater emphasis on life skills and qualities that complement good running in everyone, like diet, meditation, rest and kindness. When I inevitably experience lapses in motivation, I make an extra effort to change my routine, try a new workout, seek out the company of other people or venture into the unexplored countryside. My running is much more than planning or splits. It’s a basic way to express my individual freedom.
Art’s Competitive Fitness Extends From 5K – 100 miles
- NEW! 1st Place 60-69 age group, Oscar Blues Old Man Winter Combined Bike Rally (50K) & Run (5.8mi), Lyons, Colorado 2017
- 2nd Place 60-69 age group, Steamboat Stinger Trail 1/2 Marathon 2016
- 1st Place 60-69 age group, Boulder Mountain 10 Mile Ascent 2016
- 1st Place 55-59 age group, Mount Taylor 50K, Grant’s NM 2013
- 1st Place, 55-59 age group, Santa Barbara International Marathon 2011
- 3 Leadville 100 Mile Silver Buckles (sub-25 hour), Leadville, Colorado 1997-1998-2000
- Masters Champion (5th Place overall), Leadville Trail 100 2001
- Top 50 finisher, Western States 100 Mile, Squaw Valley to Auburn, California 2001
- 5th Place Elk Horn Mountain 100K, Helena, Montana 1998
- Texas Trail 50K, Huntsville, Texas 1996
- Mountain Mist 50K, Huntsville, Alabama 1997
- 1st Place 50-59 age group, Dick’s Flat-Out 5K, 2008
- 3rd Place 50-59 age group, Bolder Boulder, 2008