There was a time when I was rigid and exacting with my training, much more narrowly focused and future-oriented. I took pride in mapping out my whole running year like an Olympic athlete. Adhering to a strict schedule and holding myself to such meticulous standards eventually presented problems for me. I became overly focused on outcomes and ego-driven goals. I compared my performance with the other 100K and 100 milers in my peer group. Final results were all that mattered to me. I measured my success entirely by my finishing time and how high I placed among my fellow competitors. Sometimes I would get so tight because of long-term planning and expectations that I would feel completely pressurized.
I’m much looser now, and much happier because of it. I put greater emphasis on life skills and qualities that complement good running in everyone, like diet, meditation, rest and kindness. I totally enjoy living on a day-by-day basis. When I inevitably experience lapses in motivation, I make an extra effort to change my routine, try a new workout, seek out the company of other people or venture into the unexplored countryside. I have a goal, but I’m calm and casual about the process of achieving it. I’m still diligent and systematic but my running is much more than planning or splits. It’s a basic way to express my individual freedom.
Art’s Competitive Fitness Extends From 5K – 100 miles
- NEW! 1st Place 60-69 age group, Oscar Blues Old Man Winter Combined Bike Rally (50K) & Run (5.8mi), Lyons, Colorado 2017
- 2nd Place 60-69 age group, Steamboat Stinger Trail 1/2 Marathon 2016
- 1st Place 60-69 age group, Boulder Mountain 10 Mile Ascent 2016
- 1st Place 55-59 age group, Mount Taylor 50K, Grant’s NM 2013
- 1st Place, 55-59 age group, Santa Barbara International Marathon 2011
- 3 Leadville 100 Mile Silver Buckles (sub-25 hour), Leadville, Colorado 1999-2000-2001
- Masters Champion (5th Place overall), Leadville Trail 100 2001
- Top 50 finisher, Western States 100 Mile, Squaw Valley to Auburn, California 2001
- 5th Place Elk Horn Mountain 100K, Helena, Montana 1998
- Texas Trail 50K, Huntsville, Texas 1996
- Mountain Mist 50K, Huntsville, Alabama 1997
- 1st Place 50-59 age group, Dick’s Flat-Out 5K, 2008
- 3rd Place 50-59 age group, Bolder Boulder, 2008